A Car

“Tommy! Tommy, can you hear me up there? It’s time to wake up! Oh, and by the way, you have chores to do.” The voice of his mother resonated up the spiraling stairway, creeping its way through the crack under the door and into Tommy’s ear canal. He woke up, rolling left and right as if he was possessed. He peeled open his eyes, sat up, and looked around to figure out where he was. He saw only blurs. Tommy kicked the covers off his bed in frustration. He finally recognized the poster on the wall of the red 2015 Porsche 911.

“Oh, and if you hurry up, your dad would like to show something to you. We think you’re going to like it!”

“Okay, mom, I’ll be there in a few,” called Tommy.

Might he be able to spend the weekend doing something other than chores? There was only one way to find out. In one move he rolled out of bed and slid his feet into his slippers. He shuffled to the bathroom to brush up. After taking care of business, Tommy headed downstairs to the kitchen. He could smell the bacon from a mile away.

“Good morning, mom! Where is dad? You said he wanted to show me something, right?” Tommy grew suspicious. Were they tricking him into waking up just to do housework again?

“Your dad’s in the garage with a surprise for you.”

“Okay. So should I go now, or…?” Tommy started walking towards the door. Breakfast could wait.

“Wait a second, buddy. Before you go and see him, you should get your chores done. You will want to be with him for quite some time.”

Tommy was distraught. They had him fooled. Chores again! “I’m going back to bed.”

“No! Wait! OK, Tommy. Sorry, I wanted it to be a surprise. You deserve a break. Go to the garage and see what it is. Just remember that you have chores to do some time this weekend.”

Feeling liberated, he rushed to the garage. Tommy stepped through the door connecting it to the mudroom. His father stood waiting for him with a small piece of black plastic in his hand. Behind his dad stood a glossy, bright red 2015 Porsche 911. It was just like the one on the poster.

“What? Dad is that for me?”

“Of course! You didn’t think being valedictorian would go unrecognized, did you? Check it out. You have good taste in cars, son.”

Tommy had circled the car in auto magazines ever since the model was revealed. Now, he slowly circled the car in person. It looked even more impressive than the advertisements had made it seem. He opened the driver’s door and sat inside, first caressing the leather interior and then exploring the drive options. He took a deep breath of new car.

“These seats are so comfortable,” said Tommy.

Tommy lost himself behind the wheel. He imagined himself driving to every scenic, winding cliff-side road that the commercials used. His dad reminded him that he was still sitting there in the passenger seat.

“So how do you like your new toy?”

“How do I like it? I love it! Thanks so much, Dad.”

“Not a problem, why don’t you go ahead and fire her up. Let’s go for a spin.”

“What about chores?” The car almost shocked Tommy into being responsible.

“Do them later. I want to see how fast this thing can hit 60. Take her out to a country road. We’ll try to find somewhere isolated.”